Why your company does? Couldn't tell you but I know why most companies don't.
        Because to a bean counter there is a real and tangible cost to keeping your
own assembly facility. To production there is a very real but less tangible savings to
keeping your own assembly facility. A bean counter can't put an easy figure on
problems, headaches, missed project dates, etc.. So typically the simple solution from
the bean counters view point is to outsource. From production and engineering's
viewpoint, they can put all the figures they want to those less tangible problems but
the bean counters just scoff and won't accept them. A dollar in the bean counters hand
today is better than two dollars tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.