Tim,
        the other responses I have seen are fine but one other issue is: how likely is
it that one PCB would change? How much trouble will this cause with the other boards
in the panel. I have to assume that you will keep individual copies of the PCBs for
editing and changes down the road. One doesn't want to work in huge duplicated
databases, with duplicated designators or nets.

        One pro for panelizing in Protel, at least with the fab shop we were just
recently using. You can generate a P&P for all boards using 1 reference location. The
caveat, unless you do something special, you will have duplicate designators that will
cause pains for P&P, assembly & inspection. The shop we recently used was unable (or
unwilling) to edit two P&P files giving them a common reference and combining the P&P
files. (I don't know exactly why so don't ask, I thought it was a no-brainer, they
complained and actually ran the board through P&P twice. Once for each board on the
panel (2-up).)

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer