What we do here is to make a DIP-like prototype board for our FPGA's,
complete with clock chip, configuration PROM, programming header, etc etc,
with all the I/O's to pins on board. We can either use this for prototyping
on bread board, or can even put it into a socket (made up of strip-header
sockets) on a production board. Admittedly, we don't use very high speed on
our devices (generally 10MHz clock, sometimes we go to 40), but it works
well for us.

We even do it for small micros - you can put all the support chips (crystal,
decoupling caps, sometimes 3V3 voltage regulator, etc) on the one board, and
just break out the I/Os and power. You can use it as a macro component, and
also if a new generation of the micro/FPGA comes around, you aren't locked
in on the major production boards, only the smaller, cheaper daughter
boards.

This methodology also gives leverage into new projects quickly - the macro
components are already made up, so if you need one, you just plug it into a
bread board, and you have an instant prototype.

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken - Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Gravity Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069
ph:  (07) 3327 4685     fax:  (07) 3327 4455
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Send HTML email?
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml