[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

An easier method for doing this hand-soldering is to use what is known as a
mini-wave tip. It's a concave cupped tip that you fill with solder, and use
exactly as you describe - drag it along the pads. If the pads have been
designed right, it's really easy to do. Even without any special allowances,
it's fairly easy to do. I have no trouble with any TSSOP/TQFP/whatever that
I've tried. Make sure you put a liberal layer of flux along the pads you are
to solder, though.

I also do 0402 components by hand sometimes, and regularly do 0603
components. All without visual aids, although we do have stereo microscopes
available if required. SMT is not all that hard, and in fact I'd venture to
suggest it's less of a PITA than through-hole technology. Especially for
rework - it's much easier to remove 0603 components than it is to remove
through-hole components. TQFP devices are another story, of course...

I agree, The most difficult thing about reworking SMT is convincing yourself you can do it. I have regularly reworked a wide range of devices with no problems. I find that contact methods using solder wire and a soldering iron are much more reliable than methods using hot air and I now only use hot air where other methods can't be used or for 0402 devices. I have also found that a 2(ish) mm chisel tip works better for me than a miniwave tip when drag soldering.