I sent this message yesterday, but it doesn't show somehow,
so I repost it below.

Steve Wiseman wrote:
<snip>
> Is it possible to build an assembly drawing (or, really, a series of assembly
> drawings) which highlights each component type in turn on a different sheet -
> f'rinstance highlight all the 22n 0402 decouplers on one page, all the 10K
> 0402s on the next, etc...
<snip>

Steve,

There are several possible scenarios, I may think of.
Here, there is one I used to follow.

1. Prepare "standard" assembly drawing.

2. Select the components you want to higlight.
   If the only common properties of those components that are to be
   selected are Footprint (like 0805) and Comment (like 10k) then
   you may do it using Global Edit, or Query Manager in PCB.
   If the selection criteria is more complicated then use Global Edit
   in Sch Editor and then use Tools-Select PCB Components.

3. Cut (Ctrl+X) selected components (note the reference point).

4. Modify remaining components to make them "less visible", e.g.:
   - Hide their designators
   - Make their outlines very thin (e.g. 1mil)
     (First Un-Lock primitives of all components, then change globally
      the width of all tracks and arcs on Top Overlay to 1 mil, then
      Lock primitives back).

5. Paste back the components you previously removed at the same reference
   point.

If you use colour printer then there are obviously more options.

Hope it helps a little,
Wojciech Oborski