On 06:39 AM 5/09/2003, Brian Guralnick said:
Believe it or not, I've managed to do my best work with a paint stripper
heat gun...

It's great for both putting parts on & taking everything off in a single
shot.

Especially if you turn the air flow right up - it nicely cleans everything of the board in one go :-)

We do a fair bit of hand assembly. We also use many of the techniques discussed. The hand assembly is pretty much only for prototyping though, not production release (volumes kill that). We are close by a contract assy shop and they have a service where we can duck down and get them to run just the fine line stuff through a re-work station. This is faster than us mucking about if there is more than one or two devices. It saves time looking for those occasional extremely fine shorts that can happen every so often.

For repair and re-work we use a Hakko air gun - you have to be careful with it as it can easily burn components and the PCB.

Ian