When I initially sent this reply, I believe that I for some reason I hit
some keys that somehow set a flag that required a varification of reception,
and who knows what else, which appears from at least at my end here to have
somehow disrupted normal distribition of the email to the list, resulting in
my not getting either my cc back or the normal distribution copy (although I
did get the verification (maby I sent a "blank")). I am therefore sending
this reply a second time, and I apologize if this results in yet a second
distribution of the same email to the list. - JaMi

Mark,

One way that I usually accomplish the task of placing all of the short
traces and vias to the respective planes for all of my decoupling caps, or
even for those resistors or capacitors that are in circuit but have one end
tied either to a voltage plane or ground plane, is to define one trace, and
one via, and then select them and then copy them with the location point of
the copy being that of the center of the pad that is going to be grounded or
tied hi.

I can then use a keystroke combination of E P (edit place) using my little
finger of my left hand on the E key and my thumb or index finger on the P
key, and just do an E P followed by the placing of the copied trace and via
with the mouse , using the space bar as necessary to do any rotating that
may be necessary, and then once everything is positioned, I do a left click
on the mouse to place everything. Then I simply repeat the process for the
next location that needs a connection. Usually I can place a trace and via
"pair" where ever I need them in a very short time, and I have not found it
necessary to go to the extreme of having a special component, which would
take even longer to define on the schematic (which would require a special
"footprint") than I would spend even on a large number of such connections.

Very occasionally (and I don't remember what the circumstances are) the
copied trace and via will assume the net name of the pad which you are
connecting to, but usually you will have do an "Update Free Primitives . . .
" from the Drop Down List of the Menu Button in the lower Left Corner of the
Netlist Manager (found in the Drop Down Menu under Design, once I have
placed all of the trace and via "pairs".

This copy technique works especially well if you follow the IPC-2221
guidelines that suggest  doubling up the number of vias on decoupling caps,
such that you need 2 vias, properly spaced, and a whole bunch of little
trace segments to connect them to the center of the appropriate pad.

This method usually gets the job done for me, although there are certainly
other approaches to the problem, as have been described in other responses
to your question.

The nice thing about using a small narrow trace and a via that is placed a
few mils away from the edge of the pad, as opposed to using an oblong pad as
you mentioned, is that a small trace, although short, will provide enough
"thermal isolation" from the connection to the power or ground plane, that
it is not necessary to have any "thermal relief" on such a via where it
connects to the plane.

JaMi