I have a couple of questions about the autorouter and multilayer boards.

I know everyone will say to manually route it, and I will probably end up doing it manually, but is there a way to use the autorouter and specify the preferred layer to route the net on? I would like to do a 4 layer design and I want to use the outer layers as much as I can and the autorouter just seems to pick whatever layer it feels like if I use 4 routing layers and no power planes. The downfall of this is that I was thinking of just placing a polygon fill for the power planes but this routing strategy cuts up the polygons too much and I am not happy with the gnd plane this way.

Or, is there a way to allow the autorouter to place a net class on the inner ground or power plane layer? This is why I am using 4 routing layers, when really all I would like to do is to route my data and address busses on the inner layers since my power nets are not complicated and there is a lot of unused real estate there.

Thank you for you input,
Regards,
Gary Allbee
Alta Industrial Automation Ltd