Thanx everyone for their responses to my queries which were what I expected would be
the answer.

On another topic. We have a 4-layer board (nothing unusual mix of analog and digital
components) which routes on Protel 98 in around 15-30 minutes and always achieves 100%
routing. If we run the SAME artwork in Protel 99SE it takes over 7 hours and only
achieves around 90-95% completion. Protel DXP is taking around 5 hours and again only
90-95% done. Does anyone have an explanation as to why the newer packages are having
such a hard time? Are we missing some `setup' trick that allows these versions to run
as well as Protel 98?
I could understand a longer runtime (say 2-5 hours) if we finished with 100% routing
and a `good' route (as opposed to one that needs cleaning up like Protel 98 usually
gives) but so far the results are VERY poor.

I am running on a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and a 1GHz processor so don't see that the
machine is the problem.

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~boobies