My experience with the Protel autorouter is with Advanced Route 3.1 (Protel
2.8, 3.X) and the integrated router in 99se.  Don't know about 98 and DXP.

>From what I have seen, both AR 3.1 and AR 99SE can quickly produce 100%
results which are acceptable on low to medium-speed digital boards, if the
routing rules are tweaked just right.  It takes quite a bit of
experimentation to discover the magic rule set to achieve this.  I have run
the same board as much as 25 times, tweaking the rules a little each time,
to get acceptable results.  Fortunately, this is usually feasible since the
router is so fast.

All I can think of is that maybe you should tweak the routing rules to
improve the results.  It's the "cut-and-try" method.

Laurie, that's an "interesting" website you have there ;-)

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurie Biddulph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 1:45 PM
Subject: [PEDA] Stock Components/Joining nets - now autorouting

Thanx everyone for their responses to my queries which were what I expected
would be the answer.

On another topic. We have a 4-layer board (nothing unusual mix of analog and
digital components) which routes on Protel 98 in around 15-30 minutes and
always achieves 100% routing. If we run the SAME artwork in Protel 99SE it
takes over 7 hours and only achieves around 90-95% completion. Protel DXP is
taking around 5 hours and again only 90-95% done. Does anyone have an
explanation as to why the newer packages are having such a hard time? Are we
missing some `setup' trick that allows these versions to run as well as
Protel 98?
I could understand a longer runtime (say 2-5 hours) if we finished with 100%
routing and a `good' route (as opposed to one that needs cleaning up like
Protel 98 usually gives) but so far the results are VERY poor.

I am running on a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and a 1GHz processor so don't see
that the machine is the problem.

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~boobies