I have spent a fair bit of time trying to `tweak' the rules but seem to reap very
little improvement. When using 98 we often do several runs using the last run to make
adjustments to component positions etc until we get a pretty good result that we then
manually finish off (Have yet to see a Protel finished board that even comes close to
being `clean' without manual intervention!!!!!).
99 for some reason has consistently taken many hours (and I mean anywhere from 5 to
20!!!) and not yet given us a single complete route even though 98 does so regularly.

Today, DXP took over 2 hours to route two tracks on a board that has been previously
routed to about 90% completion - that correlates to about 780 routed tracks out of a
total of around 840 - and we have given it two empty layers (the pre-routed board is
4-layers and now we have made it a 6-layer board).

Having said this. Running 99 in my home office (with considerably smaller boards) I
have no, apparent, problems.

Getting to the stage where we might throw the file at Protel and get them to explain
the problem. We have just forked out our $9000 for DXP and would expect considerably
better results than we are seeing at the moment.

Anything on the site that tickles your fancy :-))

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~boobies