At 01:45 PM 10/28/2003, you wrote:
On another topic. We have a 4-layer board (nothing unusual mix of analog and digital components) which routes on Protel 98 in around 15-30 minutes and always achieves 100% routing. If we run the SAME artwork in Protel 99SE it takes over 7 hours and only achieves around 90-95% completion. Protel DXP is taking around 5 hours and again only 90-95% done. Does anyone have an explanation as to why the newer packages are having such a hard time? Are we missing some `setup' trick that allows these versions to run as well as Protel 98?

There may be something unusual about that file which tricks 99SE and DXP, while P98 escapes. I haven't used the autorouter in quite some time, and there are setup options that might be different, for example, what were the layer bias settings? The same for 98, 99SE, and DXP?

I could understand a longer runtime (say 2-5 hours) if we finished with 100% routing and a `good' route (as opposed to one that needs cleaning up like Protel 98 usually gives) but so far the results are VERY poor.

I've seen that when routing is not completed, a mess is left. It might be possible to finish the routing by hand and then run the router again to let it clean up. That *might* fix it. Someone else who uses the router more frequently may have better advice.

I am running on a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and a 1GHz processor so don't see that the machine is the problem.

Actually, 256MB might be a tad thin....

Operating system?