At 02:18 PM 11/18/2003, Leo Potjewijd wrote:
With just a schematic and a textfile open (schematic active), I printed the schematic and then switched to the textfile. When I hit the printer button to print the textfile the PC rebooted.
I can not remember if I printed the text some time earlier in that session; but it was the first print for the schematic.

Having documented this feature, I can now safely call it a bug ;-)

Well, the documentation is not adequate for that yet. Yes, *something* is wrong, but it is unlikely -- though not impossible -- that the problem is with Protel. It might not be a bug or defect at all, just some random garbage that ended up in RAM, cosmic ray perhaps. (I don't know how often that kind of thing actually happens, it must be relatively rare.)

I don't have a clue where to start fixing this; any of you guys have any idea?

From your follow-up post, you did start with a good idea: the latest printer driver, which may have been the cause of stopping the reboot problem. The mirrored text would indicate that the printer might have thought it was still getting data for the schematic.

Certainly it is possible that there is a Protel bug here. Perhaps Protel should be sending a message that shuts down printing for one job and resets the printer before it starts printing a second, and it isn't.

I could not duplicate the problem. I tried using a laser printer on the network. The printer is a Brother HL-1450, and it is one weird printer. Lots of programs have trouble with it; sometimes the only way I've found to get good output is to print to PDF and then print the PDF from Acrobat Reader. The schematic I printed looked fine. The text looked awful, it was really the wrong font. But this was unrelated to the printing of the schematic. When I changed the font (under Options with the Text Editor active) to Ariel, it looked fine.