>so does the Electra router do fan outs that are nice so that you
>don't have to do them manually?
>Dennis Saputelli

Dennis,
Actually the ELECTRA router did a cleaner job of fanning out than   Spectra.  We  used
the same "do" file to test both routers. The objective was to place vias on grid, and
allow 1 trace between vias.  The reason we thought Electra was cleaner... traces
exit'd the vias from the center of via, where Spectra often ran traces tangent to the
vias.  The same test were run on both routers.  Subsequent clean and miter passes on
Spectra did not help. We do not have a do file for BGAs so BGAs I recommend doing in a
library pattern.   All of the fannouts were made on SOICs, and QFP packages.

ORCAD...is actually pretty good however it is two generations behind 99SE. The program
is comparable to Protel 98 ( which was fairly solid).  It has the same number of
layers, a few less features, and is also packaged with the same Protel router.  I am
not sure how that ever worked out.  One of my PCB freinds swears by the Orcad
router....maybe he doesnt know any better.   He also told me that Cadence has not been
supportive of the Orcad products, by sending support and development to India and also
preferring to sale you the "scalable" packages into Allegro.    I think Cadence has
reversed this in the past few months.  Definition of scalable  =  not all features are
included.

While I am on here, I also wish Tim Good Luck.  And in case any of you missed my
posting a few months ago regarding Max Henzi's (Pentalogix) software,   Try it!  We
are using Pentalogix Viewmaster for DRC checking.  The one feature I cann't live
without is finding hanging traces.  This program works great.

Latest news from MD

Mike Reagan
EDSI
Frederick Md