I'm not at my Protel workstation today, so this is from memory...

I find that your choice of direction bias on the routing layers can make a
big difference.  I will try several trial runs with different choices to see
which one has the best results.  You should make use of the 45 up, 45 down,
fanout (on top layer, and bottom layer if parts on both sides).  The manual
says to always use pattern and memory algorithms - I say try it with and
without.  Sometimes you will get better results on "random" nets if you
don't use either or both of these algorithms.  Be sure to set high
priorities for high-speed nets (clock lines, strobes, etc.) so they get
routed first and most direct.  Also, choosing the type of net routing (daisy
chain, star, load terminated, etc.) can be important.  The from-to list will
have to be edited to get the desired routing on some nets.  This is easy,
but takes some getting used to.

The router will do funny stuff with power and ground plane via connects.
You will have to cleanup these connects manually after autorouting.  The
funny behavior you will see is multiple connections to a plane and strange
stubs.  Protel needs to improve this aspect of the router.  Another thing I
have seen happen is when using split planes, a via connection to the plane
may be made outside the boundary of the plane.  This gets flagged as a DRC
error (thankfully!), but is a problem with the router.  So, don't use split
planes if you use the router.  Protel needs to fix this too.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  http://www.bagotronix.com