On 11:27 AM 26/02/2004, Darcy Davis said:
Hey Folks,

I've been getting an error while trying to save a PCB file in ascii format
in Protel 99SE sp6. I get the message

Design Explorer Error!
File C:\....\Temp\xxx.tmp is too large.

Jason Morgan had a similar problem way back in August 2002.

From the look of it there was no obvious solution then - Jason are you still on this forum? (I will ask on the DXP forum as I know he is over there and I will see if DXP behaves differently.)

It looks to me like there is some real limit in the size of ASCII PCB files - The size may depend on the size of polygons as well.

Well - I just did an unscientific test on DXP 2004. A *very* large board with four massive polygons saved to ASCII as about 104MBytes.

So either there is something else that triggers this limit (funny that it is the same as Jasons limit from a few years ago) or DXP behaves differently.

The file format in DXP is different. The binary format actually contains heaps of stuff that looks like the P99SE ASCII format. So maybe the problem had to be fixed in order to support large binary-format designs.

Ian