From: Ian Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26 February 2004 09:54
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] PCB ascii files.

On 11:27 AM 26/02/2004, Darcy Davis said:
>Hey Folks,
>
>I've been getting an error while trying to save a PCB file in ascii
format
>in Protel 99SE sp6. I get the message
>
>Design Explorer Error!
>File C:\....\Temp\xxx.tmp is too large.

Jason Morgan had a similar problem way back in August 2002.

 From the look of it there was no obvious solution then - Jason are you
still on this forum?  (I will ask on the DXP forum as I know he is over
there and I will see if DXP behaves differently.)

It looks to me like there is some real limit in the size of ASCII PCB
files
- The size may depend on the size of polygons as well.

Well - I just did an unscientific test on DXP 2004.  A *very* large
board
with four massive polygons saved to ASCII as about 104MBytes.

So either there is something else that triggers this limit (funny that
it
is the same as Jasons limit from a few years ago) or DXP behaves
differently.

The file format in DXP is different.  The binary format actually
contains
heaps of stuff that looks like the P99SE ASCII format.  So maybe the
problem had to be fixed in order to support large binary-format designs.

Ian