On 11:42 AM 2/03/2004, Trent Bates said:
I am relatively new to Protel so this is probably an easy question for you
guys.
I am using Protel 99SE

How do I place parts on top of one another?  For example I want to place a
0805 resistor underneath a Radio module on the same side of the board.
Physically there is space but in the Rules, the Component Distance
Constraint will not let me.  I know that "Multilayer Check" will allow me to
place a surface mount part underneath a through hole part if it is on the
other side of the board but I want it on the same side of the board.  I know
the answer is obvious but I can't find it.

The simplest and probably most common solution to this, in P99SE at least, is to simply turn off the relevant component clearance rule. At least for on-line checking. You may care to leave it enabled for batch checking and then simply mark it off as being a known and checked violation in the DRC report.

This is basically what I used to do with P99SE.

DXP offers some improvement but there is still no ability to check for and allow a negative clearance (overlap). The method in DXP is to remove these two items from the general component clearance rule - the trick is to attempt to do this without affecting the ability to check for violations between other components (or with other components and the two you don't want to check against each other). But that is another topic.

Bye for now,
Ian