in 99SE
the via tenting attribute (and/or the override)
will take precendence over a design rule expansion amount

as it should IMO

i have never seen one be untented mysteriously, but maybe i never
noticed it

Dennis Saputelli

Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 12:28 AM 4/03/2004, Leo Potjewijd said:
> >Hi.
> >
> >I just discovered something strange:
> >
> >I like my vias tented so I keep the tenting checkbox in the default via
> >settings dialog checked.
> >While interactively routing a PCB I noticed that the automatically placed
> >vias did not get tented (and the forementioned checkbox is still checked)....
> >I do not want to end up with a board that has some vias tented and some
> >not, and the global edit on the complete board afterwards is too easiliy
> >forgotten.
> >
> >I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but haven't a clue....
> >Please help me out, guys..
>
> There are two ways to force tenting on vias - or at least there are two
> places to control the solder mask expansion.  The via has a tenting
> attribute and there is a design rule that controls solder mask
> expansion.  I have no idea which has precedence, I would hope the tenting
> attribute of the via.  However you may want to check, and play with, the
> Manufacturing-Solder Mask expansion rule.  If you make the rule expansion
> ridiculously big do the auto-placed vias follow the silly expansion?
>
> Before we had the tenting attribute you had to apply a large enough
> negative expansion to force tenting.
>
> The checkbox being tented but the actual via being untented does sound very
> odd - unless there is a conflict between the rules and the tent
> attribute.  Are the auto-placed vias the same dimensions as the manual
> placed vias?  Are they both vias?  The manual ones aren't free pads are
> they? (Just asking some possibly silly questions.)
>
> What happens if you save as ASCII and then re-load?  What does the ASCII
> file show for a tented and untented via?  The ASCII records are not hard to
> read.
>
> Not sure I have too many other ideas.
>
> Bye for now,
> Ian

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com