At 05-03-04 03:14, Dennis Saputelli wrote:
see my earlier response on this

<snip-snip>

the 'default' setting applied in Tool Prefs Defaults ONLY applies when using the Place Via command

As I understand now (thanks also to the wonderful explanation given by Abd about an hour earlier)....

if instead you are manually routing a board and the * key when changing layers then the via in the Via routing style is used and it does not carry the tenting attribute even if it matches the size & hole of the default via

..and that's exactly what triggered my original posting.

All said and done, I guess my only real complaint is that there is no 'tenting' checkbox in the rule definition dialog (or did I miss it?), I leave it at that.
I think that forcing tented vias by specifying a negative clearance is a little less than obvious to the casual observer, but if that is the only way to get there: what the heck!

In order to save at least a little bandwith I will now snip off all repeats from all previous postings which would make up more than 80% of this post......
For the interested people that just tuned in': an 'archive-get' on this subject will reproduce the whole discussion 'on your doorstep', so to speak.... ;-)

Thanks you Brock, Dennis, Ian and Abd.

Leo