Here's how to install protel under wine. Note that this will not get you to
a working installation, but it will at least set it up to a stage where you
can run the debugger...

1. Install wine (obviously). I installed the latest release (20040309). Make
sure it's set up correctly; I used winesetuptk to set up my initial config
file.

2. run "regedit winedefault.reg" (winedefault.reg will be in your wine
install somewhere).

3. Get dcom98.exe from microsoft; this will install stdole32.tlb.

4. Install dcom98.exe. This will die when it's nearly through due to it
thinking that it's already installed, however before you press OK on the
last dialog, go into the temp directory and copy all the files in IX**** to
the (fake) windows system directory.

5. Add the following to your wine config file:

; The next two are specifically for Protel 99SE setup - it sets up!!
[AppDefaults\\Setup.exe\\DllOverrides]
"ole32" = "native"
"oleaut32" = "native"
"rpcrt4" = "native"
"urlmon" = "native"
"wininet" = "native"
"shdocvw" = "native"
"shlwapi" = "native"
"crypt32" = "native"
"mshtml" = "native"
"cabinet" = "native"

[AppDefaults\\IKernel.exe\\DllOverrides]
"ole32" = "native"
"oleaut32" = "native"
"rpcrt4" = "native"
"urlmon" = "native"
"wininet" = "native"
"shdocvw" = "native"
"shlwapi" = "native"
"crypt32" = "native"
"mshtml" = "native"
"cabinet" = "native"

; end

Obviously you'll need to get those files from a working windows install (I
got mine from win98). On the wine site it doesn't recommend you to use any
dll's from winMe, winNT or win2k, due to incompatibility. Win98 dll's should
work well for the most part.

Then protel will install.

However, when you try to run it, you will get a "runtime error 217". A bit
of research turns this up about runtime error 217:

(from http://www.delphifaq.com/fq/q1050.shtml):

In fact, Delphi executables will die with runtime error 217 when an
exception was raised before SysUtils is initialized or after it is
finalized. In both situations the regular exception handling is not put in
place.

If the error occurs right at your application's startup, check your
initialization sections. Try to move code into a later part, e.g. into
FormCreate() events. Otherwise check your units' finalization sections.

Some typical situations where this can happen:

- unexpected date formats

- disk or registry accesses where the user has not sufficient privileges

- BDE Net Dir mismatches

(end)

That's as far as I've got. I've tried to fiddle with dll's native vs
builtin, specifically trying all the ole* as native, but with no luck. The
runtime error still occurs.

Service pack 6 will install, however when launching client99se it will go
straight to the debugger; I'm not sure if this is progress or not.

If anyone else gets any further than this, please post to this list.

Cheers,
Matt van de Werken.