09/04/2004 20:28:38, Ray Mitchell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Are they (fiducials) necessary or just something that may come
in handy?

talk to your assembly shop. They'll be exceedingly happy to help.
I'm asked for several different shapes / sizes of fiducial,
depending on where the boards are going to be stuffed - some
places are happy with them widely spaced, out on the
(disposable) board carrier, some want them on the board near
the unplated tooling holes, some want local fiducials next to tricky
components. I don't know what IPC specify, but I'd definitely ask
your stuffing shop for their preferences. I'd also advise against
using zero-thou tracks as keepouts in fiducials, no matter how
tempting it may be, since P99 has that tendency to draw small
diagonal pads with a zero-thou track if it's got one it's used
elsewhere in the design, which works about as well as you'd
expect. Whoops, no pad :)
(I wonder if that's still the case in 2004 - my copy just turned up.
Reading the license suggested that I'd have to remove my copy of
99SE, and I'm damned if I'm doing that, so time for a chat with the
distributor and Altium, I guess).

Steve