At 06:41 PM 5/4/2004, John Girvan wrote:
As a new Protel User, coming over from Mentor 'Expedition' series, im trying to find a 'snap to grid' option as per Mentor, im sure there is something ive overlooked.... basically, i have drawn in a row of 3 straight 'dummy' tracks on an 8th grid. If i change to a 10th grid can i select them all, then 'snap to grid' and they all snap to the grid or do i have to select them each individually then snap them by 'pushing them' as i have been doing....

I'm not sure what is meant by "8th grid" or "10th grid." It might mean 125 mils and 100 mils respectively, or it might mean something else....

Anyway, I've never seen anything like this in Protel except for Move to Grid which you mention:

i know you can snap components to grid but what about other draw objects?

I would not rule out that there is a way to do this in DXP, though it could be more trouble than it would be worth, but my question is, really, why do you want this?

You have a set of tracks. You want to move them to, perhaps, tighten them up. If you are routing with Place Interactive, and you have Mode/Push Obstacle enabled, banging a track up against your collection of tracks will shove them to design rule clearance. If, for example, you had 8 mil tracks on a 20 mil grid, and your clearance rule is 8 mils for those nets, Shove will compress them to 8/8. And you don't even have to do anything but route your next track.....

Manual routing in Protel is really gridless. That is, you may use a grid for convenience, but what will ultimately control track spacing is not just the grid, but the clearance rules. Isn't this the way it should be?

If you want to create an array of objects on some grid, you can use Edit/Paste Special/Paste Array....