Tom,

Is anything being done to standardize 3D modeling for PCB layout? One thing I think Altium leads the pack on is closing the loop to mechanical layout (3D modeling). Protel is similar to PADS with the Z height but they have gone one better, you can map a 3D model to your library part so that you can export an IGES file that can be imported in your 3D modeling software. Unlike PADS it is not an cost add on, it comes standard with DXP2004. (DXP was extra $) So all those vendors that have models available can be used directly by Protel. You can view a model of the pcb assembly and print in Protel. very impressive. Sure, this can be done too on the mechanical end, but it works so much nicer when the PCB layout person specs the model. Nice to have one person make sure the schematic symbol, layout footprint, and 3D model are all mapped correctly. I guess what I'm wondering is if anybody is collecting 3D models of parts?

PH

From: "Tom Hausherr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [PEDA] IPC-2581 & IPC-7351.
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:01:21 -0700

Brian,

You can get IPC-2581 Neutral CAD database format from www.ipc.org.

You can get IPC-7351 information from several places.
http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?pageid=6.4.4.3

Or you can download many documents from www.PCBLibraries.com Download Center
Documents section.

You can also get a free IPC-7351 Land Pattern Calculator (called - IPC-7351
Navigator Wizard) by registering on the Main page of PCBLibraries.com.

Over the past 3 1/2 years PCB Libraries has voluntarily helped IPC develop
the IPC-7351 specification and the new Land Pattern Calculator.

The IPC-7351 Land Pattern Calculator can export PADS ASCII data which can be
imported into Protel.

PCB Libraries will soon release 8,000 free Protel Library parts that were
built by the IPC-7351 Navigator Wizard. The first true Standard Software
Library (not built by humans but by a software program). Soon there will be
a direct Protel interface in the IPC-7351 Navigator Wizard.

And you can get this software program for free.
http://www.pcblibraries.com/NWiz-Demo

Tom H

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Guralnick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 10:56 PM To: Protel EDA Forum Subject: [PEDA] IPC-2581 & IPC-7351.

Where can I get info on the IPC-2581 & IPC-7351 standards?

Brian Guralnick

MSN Movies - Trailers, showtimes, DVD's, and the latest news from Hollywood! http://movies.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200509ave/direct/01/