From: Protel Hell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 11:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PEDA] IPC-2581 & IPC-7351.

Tom,

Is anything being done to standardize 3D modeling for PCB layout? One
thing
I think Altium leads the pack on is closing the loop to mechanical
layout
(3D modeling). Protel is similar to PADS with the Z height but they have

gone one better, you can map a 3D model to your library part so that you
can
export  an IGES file that can be imported in your 3D modeling software.
Unlike PADS it is not an cost add on, it comes standard with DXP2004.
(DXP
was extra $) So all those vendors that have models available can be used

directly by Protel. You can view a model of the pcb assembly and print
in
Protel. very impressive. Sure, this can be done too on the mechanical
end,
but it works so much nicer when the PCB layout person specs the model.
Nice
to have one person make sure the schematic symbol, layout footprint, and
3D
model are all mapped correctly. I guess what I'm wondering is if anybody
is
collecting 3D models of parts?

PH

>From: "Tom Hausherr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [PEDA] IPC-2581 & IPC-7351.
>Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:01:21 -0700
>
>Brian,
>
>You can get IPC-2581 Neutral CAD database format from www.ipc.org.
>
>You can get IPC-7351 information from several places.
>http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?pageid=6.4.4.3
>
>Or you can download many documents from www.PCBLibraries.com Download
>Center
>Documents section.
>
>You can also get a free IPC-7351 Land Pattern Calculator (called -
IPC-7351
>Navigator Wizard) by registering on the Main page of PCBLibraries.com.
>
>Over the past 3 1/2 years PCB Libraries has voluntarily helped IPC
develop
>the IPC-7351 specification and the new Land Pattern Calculator.
>
>The IPC-7351 Land Pattern Calculator can export PADS ASCII data which
can
>be
>imported into Protel.
>
>PCB Libraries will soon release 8,000 free Protel Library parts that
were
>built by the IPC-7351 Navigator Wizard. The first true Standard
Software
>Library (not built by humans but by a software program). Soon there
will be
>a direct Protel interface in the IPC-7351 Navigator Wizard.
>
>And you can get this software program for free.
>http://www.pcblibraries.com/NWiz-Demo
>
>Tom H

MSN Movies - Trailers, showtimes, DVD's, and the latest news from
Hollywood!
http://movies.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200509ave/direct/01/