Duane

The purpose of the article was to explore interactive routing....the
interactive part and most boring part of this is manually fanning out.  FAN
out everything,   boring and time consuming I know. but the rewards are no
post clean up and very clean routes

Just say No to the basic.do   FAN Out as I suggested, take my word for it.

If you have components on both sides and routing channels are not open, it
doesn't matter if you manually attempt to route .....routing channels must
be open

For your question.,,,,"  But i still would like the router to follow a 12mil
track-SMDpad rule and a 14mil via-SMDpad rule"    What are you calling
track-SMD    are you referring to the clearance to the smd pad?   Trace
widths can be controlled in Protel using net classes or identifying
individual net names in the width rules set up.   Open the DSN file using
wordpad as I suggested, and do Control F to fine  the net you assigned a
rule to. If the net rule is not changed then the design rules are not set up
in Protel.  The DSN interface is excellent to ELECTRA and Spectra.    If the
design rules are set up, and there is ample clearance to push a 12 mil line
thru, ELECTRA will route it in a microsecond.  If it is not routing in
microseconds after you type in route, then the rules are in conflict.  It is
that simple ....correct rules, yeilds efficient routing

Mike