thanks for your help....  see below for pointed response

i did not do any fan out.. i tried this on the premise that it is a simple board which
99SE could autoroute..  this board has some 0805s and 14 pin SOICs.. are you
recommending that i fan out the SOICs?

> Secondly,
> what is are you calling the "basic do"   is this the do file Protel
> generates?  (DXP only).

i am referring to a file which was installed by Electra (Basic.do).

> I would stay away from assigning directives  like "any
> direction"  this will
> only complicate things by not steering the router to work for
> you.  Two
> layer designs work as easily as multilayer ....as long as you
> have open
> channels.  That is key.   On very populated tight designs I
> discount the
> component side as a routing layer because the components are
> in the way.

i have components on both sides?!

Perhaps it will route if i work on the component layout.  But i still would like the
router to follow a 12mil track-SMDpad rule and a 14mil via-SMDpad rule.
Can you illuminate how to implement these special spacing rules?