Jim,

Yes, but you have to make sure that the video card  and associated
drivers are capable of handling the mixed load. Nvidia's hardware and
software provide these capabilities with issue and are in general quite
affordable, and no, I don't really care about Matrox, since it's such a
crappy company.

One thing to remember is that if you're going with both LCD and CRT,
make sure that the video outputs are compatible with the monitors you've
chosen. For instance, if you choose an all digital LCD in (can you still
get these?) then you'll need a video card with a DVI connector. Some
people swear that you have to have DVI for video performance. I don't
know...Seems so much snobbery, like "oxygen free speaker cable", SCSI is
better than EIDE" and techno-bull, usually sponsored by no-nothings and
richie riches out to "my dog is bigger" everyone.

In terms of ideals, obviously, the ultimate multi-display utilizes
identical monitors of exceptionally large size and superior resolution,
color quality, etc. If only I were one of the idle rich...

My opinionated 2 cents.

NVIdia-based MX440 or similar is a cost-effective solution, but again,
make sure about electrical connections and the LCD you'ver chosen...

aj