Hi all:

On video cards:

I have run multiple head video at home for a long time, but that has
been under linux. I now have a dual head card here at work, with a 19"
LCD as the primary display, and my old 19" CRT as the secondary. We
bought an nVidia-based video card especially for this: as we were buying
a new computer anyway the expense wasn't that great. I didn't buy the
card, so I don't know how much it cost.

When it comes to CRT's, nothing beats driving them with Matrox cards. I
used to use a GF4 at home, now I have "downgraded" to a matrox G450 -
there is a noticeable difference in clarity. The Matrox won't do the 3D
that the nvidia could, but it's sharper - better IMO for Protel (except
I don't run Protel at home...).

I have had about 2 days' experience with Windows XP and dual heads; a
number of things aren't quite the way I expect them to be, but they're
all OS issues. I still have to get my feet wet with DXP yet, but in the
1/2 hour I've used it so far it's seemed that dual head is essential.

I won't bore you all with the OS issues, I'll just say that the X Window
System treats multiple displays much much better than Windows (and is a
better desktop all round, for a number of reasons I won't go into).

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken - Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Mining Geoscience Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069
ph:  (07) 3327 4142     fax:  (07) 3327 4455