I see this all of the time.

First, Unhide all Designators' and Comments' on components:

Double click a component, untick the hide box on the designator and the
comment, press the Global button and hit OK.

Now you can see all Designators and Comments.

Next, (you need Service Pack 6 for this) double click again on the
component, set designators and comments Autoposition to Centre, Global>Ok.

If you don't want/have Service Pack 6 then you have to move designators and
comments by hand to the middle of the component.

Now the comment and designators should be in the centre of the component.

You can hide them again and now you should be able to select the way you
want...

Hope that helps!

TC

...PS - check the components are not LOCKED!