Jeff Condit wrote:

Hi AJ!

I meant P98SE.

I guess what I was balking at was not being able to reconfigure a pin's
electrical type from schematic.  The reason is that generic PLDs don't
really have an electrical type until they are programmed.  Then the pins can
become inputs, outputs, tri-state, or whatever you want.  If in the library
they are all just set to I/O, then the schematic reports a lot of warnings
and can miss some errors.  If you know what you want the pins to be (which
is only sometimes the case) and can set the pin electrical types
accordingly, then the ERC is much more meaningful.  This could be done in
the parts editor, but then the part would be wrong on other designs where
the pins are used differently.  Thus, the desire to be able to characterize
them in schematic.

Anyway, that was the thought.

Jeff Condit

For large programmable parts like Altera's FPGAs, I make a special schematic symbol for each application, with the pins named and positioned (and set the the correct type) to suit the application. I find it much easier to understand the schematic with the pins named for their functions, rather than all being called "I/On"

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF