Bill
Electra and Specctra are  identical in behavior and commands. The commands for each
connection  can be understood if you open a Protel dsn file with Wordpad.  Experiment
with Protel's design rules, set up layer rules, minimize vias, restrict layers,  set
directions etc, then review the dsn file with Wordpad. If the commands still make
sense, dont conflict with each other, and you have a routing channel, Electra and
Specctra will place your wire as clean or cleaner than  you could draw it.  It is that
simple.
In my article, I mentioned the amount of time I take to set up a board for routing.
Very large boards can take a week to set up.  This still beats months of basket
weaving.  I too attended the Cadence canned seminars and never learned to use the
router. One day  after many trials  it came to me like getting baptized in Holy water.
 I figured out how to route.  I feel confident that I can auto route the hardest or
all boards.... a backplane with no vias, just straight connections. Row A to Row A
Row B to Row B, etc.    I can set up a few rules and autoroute a backplane... using
Protel's design rules and net classes.  If ya'll followed my postings several years
ago, I didnt think this could be done.   Piece of cake.
Differential and matched pairs ....well  Im working on it.  Ive got diff pairs down
cant get Protel to export length rules

BTW there are some improvements in the DXP dsn export.

Mike Reagan