OK, now you've confused me :-)

I don't understand the exact relationship between all these classes,
which is why I'm asking the question. If I want to build an
application where I have a number of services that share a single TCP
port, what organisation do I need to use?

You mention multiplexing services - what does that mean for a client
application using the connection?

A UML:diagram (or similar) showing the relationship between
controllers, channels & services would really aid my understanding of
how this system would operate. Perhaps these terms are in common usage
in other RPC systems, but because I haven't used any, I'm uncertain
about what these entities do. I've read the documentation several
times, but the overview of how it works hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Jeff