Hi Romain,

On 9 Dez., 12:10, Romain François <francoisrom...@free.fr> wrote:
> http is quite verbose for sending protobuf message around, but it is
> likely to be implemented for a lot of languages.

we did just this here. We wrote an RPC implementation complete with
HTTP transport and protobuf as serialization. So far with great
success and stability. The good thing is, that HTTP comes in many
different flavours and implementations, so we were able to integrate
those backends in pion based c++ servers as well as Java Servlets. All
communicating transparently and cross platform. Currently the only
really pressing issue seems to be large data sets.

Apparently at least in Java our current opinion here is, that it's
really not very performant or even feasable to assemble structures
larger than a few megs. We have structures containing large blobs for
data coming straight out of files (can be >1GB) and in order to put
the data in the protobuf these data would have to live in mem 3 times
while copying into the protobuf classes. Something like a stream
serialization would be in order and we do not know how to do that in
protobuf yet.

Apart from this it's a great way to go for small messages.

Cheers,
Stephan