Used the HTTP URL and it worked like charm. Now building resulted in a
compilation failure, it's saying:

\GIT\protobuf-codec\protobuf-codec-json\src\test\java\protobuf\codec
\json\TypesP
rotoBuf.java:[2860,48] <ContainingType,Type>newGeneratedExtension() in
com.googl
e.protobuf.GeneratedMessage cannot be applied to
(com.google.protobuf.Descriptor
s.FieldDescriptor,java.lang.Class<java.lang.String>)
\GIT\protobuf-codec\protobuf-codec-json\src\test\java\protobuf\codec
\json\TypesP
rotoBuf.java:[2865,14] cannot find symbol
symbol  : method
newRepeatedGeneratedExtension(com.google.protobuf.Descriptors.F
ieldDescriptor,java.lang.Class<protobuf.codec.json.TypesProtoBuf.Lang>)
location: class com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage
\GIT\protobuf-codec\protobuf-codec-json\src\test\java\protobuf\codec
\json\TypesP
rotoBuf.java:[2870,14] cannot find symbol
symbol  : method
newRepeatedGeneratedExtension(com.google.protobuf.Descriptors.F
ieldDescriptor,java.lang.Class<protobuf.codec.json.TypesProtoBuf.Version>)
location: class com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage

Did I retrieve a development branch or something?