You only need to register the extensions that you want to use. Unknown
extensions will get preserved as unknown fields (at least in the C++ and
Java implementations; python does not support unknown fields), and when you
reserialize the message those will be included. The registered receivers
will need to have ExtensionRegistry's to parse the extensions they care
about. Netty would need to provide a hook for them to provide the
ExtensionRegistry.