I don't know what Netty's API requirements are. In the google protobuf
library, the ExtensionRegistry is optional; not providing one is the same
as providing one with no extensions. But that should be about right; you
only need to ensure that the handlers provide an ExtensionRegistry with
what they want.

Only message types can be extended. If you are asking if a message type
that's used as an extension can also have extensions, then yes, e.g.:

message Foo {
  extensions 1 to max;
}

message Bar {
  extensions 1 to max;
}
extend Foo {
  optional Bar bar = 1;
}

extend Bar {
  optional int32 int32_field = 1;
}

The ExtensionRegistry would need to contain the defintions for all
extensions in the entire message structure that you want to use.