Thanks for your prompt reply!

If I understand you correctly: I provide an ExtensionRegistry to Netty's
decoder that has no entries, just to avoid the null exception.   I then
reserialize the message and pass it to the appropriate handler, who decodes
it using their own ExtensionRegistry that knows about any applicable
extensions.  I presume that an extension can also have extensions?