Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 658 by paleozogt: use cmake for builds

The MSVC project is way behind the latest MSVC version, which forces devs on windows to do project upgrades, and lots of one-off fixes (for example, #531).

Additionally, building gtest in a project (say as a git submodule) has lots of platform-dependent code: if we're on *nix, build it like this, if we're on win, build it like this.

protobuf should switch to using CMake so that there's one way to build the project. This will put any msvc issues to bed, and make building the project as a submodule trivial.

See gtest for an example of another google project that is successfully using CMake.