It's really about architecture and audience and how they interact. The
architecture we are currently developing is closely modelled on the
existing architecture of the internet. At the lowest layer the TCP stack
provides a very general purpose protocol to a very wide range of
applications. This is directly the role the protocol engine plays for AMQP.

Slightly above that in the software stack the socket API makes it easy
(relatively speaking) for your application to speak TCP. Again this is
identical to the role that the Messenger API serves. Neither the socket API
nor Messenger provide you direct control over every aspect of the protocol
details, but they do make it easy to interface to the basic functionality
of the respective protocols and they provide you indirect access (via
intermediaries) to many more advanced capabilities of the protocol.

At the highest layer applications build on top of the protocol. In the case
of TCP there are many thousands of applications including very important
ones like HTTP, SMTP, etc. For AMQP, we currently have three examples at
apache (the cpp/java brokers, and activemq), however I believe there are
potentially many many other applications that could build on top of AMQP,
perhaps even as many as currently exist on TCP.

>From this perspective, I would assert that both messenger and the protocol
engine have potentially very cross-cutting and broad audiences, whereas the
brokers (relatively speaking) have inherently narrower and more domain
specific audiences. While I can sympathize with the idea that a single
broadcast communication channel might make it easier to explain this
picture in the short term, I am deeply concerned that it will lead to
distortion of this picture in the longer term as architecture tends to
follow audience. The users of a piece of software inherently shape its
direction, and forcing two pieces of software that need to be quite
independent to have a single user group is going to influence and shape
that architecture in a way that is contrary to them being independent in
the first place. I think this is especially concerning because the dev and
users list are already largely established as the cpp/java broker lists.

So to answer your question, I don't actually think the arrangement of
mailing lists will make all that much difference in the short term, that is
something we need to proactively work on through other means, however I do
think it can have a significant influence in the long term.  It is my
belief that if AMQP is successful the architectural layer represented by
the protocol engine + messenger, and the various applications that use it
(qpid-cpp, qpid-ava, activemq, and more) will ultimately be strongly
reflected in their own distinct communities and it may well be as strange
and alien to think of merging the communities/lists as it would be to
combine the TCP stack/socket API into a single project with the apache web
server. Already it's hard to imagine how the details of implementing ssl
support in proton and the details of implementing a transactional
persistent message store will significantly benefit from cross
communication.

All that said, my primary concern is to promote a good understanding and
foster development of the architecture outlined above, and this requires
good communication beyond just the people who are on any of our mailing
lists. If we can't explain proton to users of other qpid components, we
certainly can't explain it well to the rest of the world. So if the above
picture is well understood and there is still overwhelming consensus that
merging lists will help achieve this goal then I won't stand in the way. I
don't claim to know that we can't evolve to where we need to be through
that path, merely that it worries me in some significant ways and that qpid
mailing list communication in general is a very small subset of our overall
communication problems, so any action (or inaction) we take with the lists
should not make us feel better about having actually done something to
solve the problem.

--Rafael