Correct.  The Android native API is not particularly rich.   A little
web searching will show many like-minded folks trying to fill the gaps
as needed for their needs.

At a minimum, a Proton-c port to Android will require support
libraries for SSL/TLS and UUIDs.  Many people have already dealt with
these two, so you may find an acceptable solution that works for you
with little or no elbow grease.

Cliff