I just submitted a simple DOM builder enhancement [1]. The framework is
currently strong on DOM manipulation, but for content updates it only relies
on innerHTML. What I always use in my projects is a simple wrapper around
createElement() and appendChild() DOM methods - recently I though it would
make a nice addition to the core.

Other DOM builders out there are script.aculo.us' [2], which is IMO too big
for core (what are those hacks for, anyway?); Vivabit DOM builder [3]
(original blog post currently unavailable); and Mochikit DOM [4], which is
huge and full-featured but we don't really need most of it.

Personally I think Dan's approach is most "Prototypish" and it also
generated a lot of blog buzz when it came out - it was exactly what most of
the people needed. Mine is similar, but without the method creation feature:
no html.DIV() or html.INPUT(), just plain ol' string arguments.

var form = $E('form',
  $E('div',
    $E('input', {type : 'text', name : 'email'}),
    $E('input', {type : 'text', name : 'password'}),
    $E('input', {type : 'submit'})
  )
);

What do you think? Do you need it? Does it belong to core? If so, what
approach should we take?

--
Mislav

p.s. my patch in Trac still lacks attribute fixes for IE, I'm quite aware of
that... right now it's just proof of concept ;)

[1] http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7476
[2] http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/spinoffs/scriptaculous/src/builder.js
[3] http://ajaxian.com/archives/dom-builder-a-nicer-dom
[4] http://mochikit.com/doc/html/MochiKit/DOM.html