> Colin, thanks for pointing out that my observer array will slow things
> down in many cases. I really like your implementation, especially the
> way you keep a different EventCache object.  One thing I wonder, though,
> if like you said your function returns an index--an array index could be
> problematic, but why not use an object as a cache?  Consider the draft
> below.

I like it! I like it so much, I blended all of your features with my
own!

See the patch here (updated): http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7435

I added the "return value is a cache key" feature, added your fixes to
make UA checking happen only once (very nice!), and made Event and the
caching model completely separate. All of this with complete backwards
compatibility.

I didn't include your "stopObservingElementEvent" and
"stopObservingElement" functions, instead their functionality is
included in stopObserving.

Colin