On 2/9/07, Colin Mollenhour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think this patch has become quite refined and mature by now, I'd love to
> get some more feedback from the Core guys...

First of all, for all you joining late to the event discussion from several
threads back; there's an Event patch [1] sitting in Trac for some time now
that handles a lot. This and Colin's patch [2] don't overlap in
functionality as much as in code; some clever merging will be required to
take the best out of both patches. We had internal discussion about creating
an event SVN branch in which these changes would be made - it may happen
soon, depending on the people in charge of the repository.

Colin, we still haven't discussed having your featureset in core, but that
doesn't mean it won't happen. Currently, your patch doesn't feel exactly
"Prototypish". First of all, I don't like splitting what we have into 2
things -- a namespace and a class -- when one can reside in another (eg. an
event related class should reside in the Event namespace). Second, I don't
like breaking chaining of observe(). Third, it has too much "private"
properties (the underscore ones) and I can't stop thinking this featureset
should take way *less* code.

This doesn't mean I want you to "fix" your patch. No, it should stay the way
it is now, but the ticket could stand tests. No, not unit tests (we're still
figuring out how to unit-test events), but *functional* tests (the next best
thing). Let the HTML document in [1] serve as the base for your tests. Keep
em simple; there doesn't have to be much, just showing off the functionality
and that it really works.

--
[1] http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/5786#comment:9
[2] http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7435#comment:1