Sorry, Colin. I wish I could put a ton of stuff like this up on my blog
(which is basically not even a blog, for total lack of time)... We're busy
with client projects and launching a startup...

I for one, don't find it all that cumbersome to create my handles/observe
during init, and then stop observing and set the handles to null during
dispose. But I do know what you're getting at.

And to answer your statement "...your GC class has nothing to do with events
specifically". That's what I was trying to get at with the subclassing. My
point was exactly this: the GC class is completely generic, specific details
left to subclass implementations. What's to stop you now from creating a
very light wrapper around proto's Event.observe/stopObserving, implement a
custom EventGC class, and make it work without requiring this potentially
laborious exercise of trying to modify the core, which for all intents and
purposes works just fine for the majority of cases? I'm not trying to say to
stop trying to get it in there (as others may completely agree with you and
its value)... just that you seem to be a little bit defeated thinking you
can't currently achieve what you want without the core being modified.

Hmm.. okok... I'll take some time to put together a simple example... give
me a few hours to catch up on some stuff.

--
Ryan Gahl
Application Development Consultant