I'm frustrated at the ambiguity of the CSS3 spec on this issue.  See
for yourself at (http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-css3-selectors-20011113/
#nth-child-pseudo). The spec says that a and b "must be zero, negative
integers or positive integers," but does not give any examples in
which b is negative -- neither in the spec nor in the test suite.

Firstly: I can only assume that if b is negative the syntax is, for
instance, (3n-2) instead of (3n+-2), as the latter would just be
silly.

Secondly: If I assume the same sort of logic for negative values of b
as for positive values, then out of a group of 10 elements:

 (n-2)  selects elements 1-8 (just like n+2 selects 2-10 and -n+2
selects 1-2)
 (3n-2) selects elements 1, 4, and 7 (the -2 value of b determines the
modulus and also excludes the last two items in the collection)
 (n-9)  selects element 1

Here's a pastebin of the rewritten logic. (http://pastie.caboo.se/
47481) Note that the "total" argument specifies the length of the
collection (so that it returns only indices that actually fall within
the result set).

Thoughts on either of these issues?

Cheers,
Andrew