Michael Peters is correct.
Since  forms of type application/x-www-form-urlencoded *do not* add
brackets to inputs so neither should this method.
PHP is my primary server side language and our form elements are named
'foo[]' if we want them to become an array on the serverside.
Its up to the dev to name their form elements properly not the JS
Framework to magically know.

Also, as to the other points.
I think that consistency is key.
If its null in then its null out (doesnt even appear in the render).
As to marking it null in the first place I am for it.
It makes a smaller query string if you have a bunch of nulls.
If you want them nulls to show up I, i set them to "" an empty string
instead of null.

Good discussion.