AFAIK outerHTML is not WC3 standards compliant - it is IE extension

I'm not sure it will remove all the event handlers, but it could (and
even should) - when You change outerHTML you can potentially even
change
the element's name - so how would event handler work on such a new
element. So I suppose, the reference to the old element is destroyed,
and a reference to new element is created when you change outerHTML.
Even if in this process you change only the 'name' attribute of the
element.