I really think that name and id should be different no to overload $()
with more functionality.
Besides it is easy to catch such error if there are names equal to ids
even in complicated JS scripts.

here  http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=410472 near 10 minute to
see more problems with IE and Opera with getElementById

p.s. In my last project I found that I was call $ over  7070 times
when I pass throw main features in 3-5 minutes, and think on IE what
will happen if we have additonal $$ or some stuff like that !