If this does make it to core, I would then also suggest allowing the
developer to specify the prefix of the ID (default to "uniqueId").
Optionally, go so far as to track a separate incremented value per new
prefix, allowing the dev to essentially set up element groups. This would be
considered like namespacing the ids.

So you just need one more small step to store a hash of prefixes and their
corresponding current _nextUniqueId values.

--
Ryan Gahl
Manager, Senior Software Engineer